Monday 27 May 2013

The Football In Me


Let me start by quoting Gary Lineker after losing the 1990 World Cup semifinal to Germany on penalties: “Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.”


Sorry for the long hiatus. My excuses for not writing ranges from the GE13 to writer's block to post GE13 blues. Most importantly, I can honestly tell you is the deep disappointment in me. The sadness is so deep that no tears will come.  DAP won 100% of our seats and yet we failed to capture the state ? Hard to fathom. 


So I shall write about my love for football today. Interestingly, I got the inspiration to write on this topic due to a radio show which discussed the effect of football mania on the lives of couples. At the very outset, let me tell you that I am no ordinary girl next door who knows nothing about football. I have to credit my late father, Mr Tang Seng Huang for introducing me to football and as a result I got hooked. I remember both of us sitting with our eyes glued in front of the television discussing excitedly about a “Road to Wembley” game, much to my sisters and mother’s chagrin. We were guilty of  hogging the television. His favourite team was Tottentham Hotspurs (“Spurs”) and mine was Manchester City (“City”).


My favourite game of all time was the FA Cup Final Replay between Spurs and City in 1981.  It was the first to be staged at Wembley. Ricky Villa opened the scoring for Spurs in the 8th minute.  Steve MacKenzie equalised for City in the 11th minute.  Kevin Reeves scored a penalty in the 50th minute to give City the lead. Garth Crooks then equalised in the 70th minute. In the 76th minute, Tony Galvin passed the ball to Villa 30 yards from City's goal, and the Argentinian dribbled past four defenders before scoring the winning goal. This goal was voted Wembley Goal of the Century in 2001, and it won Spurs the match, 3–2, and the FA Cup for the 6th time. My dad recorded the game on Betamax tape (before VHS or VCD). I watched the match over and over again until the tape was spoiled. 

My husband loves football too but his favourite team is Ipswich. Ipswich ? Is the team still in Championship League ?  I must salute him for his unwavered support eventhough his team is not in the top league like City, Spurs and Manchester United ("Red Devils"). Have I told you that I have switched my allegiance to the Red Devils since the 90's ? Guilty as charged ! 

Let me end by quoting Bill Shankly, Liverpool manager on football: “Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I’m very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

  

Ardiles


Spurs


Villa celebrating !

Ticket


No comments:

Post a Comment