Tuesday 26 January 2016

Rise above cheapskate politics

Rise above cheapskate politics

Call me queer. Well, not queer in the strict definition of  LGBTIQ. I am queer because I am a non-conformist. However, I checked the dictionary and found that  LGBTIQ stood for lesbian, gay, bisexuals, transgender, intersex and queer. Today, I want to touch on the last character, queer. 

I love queer people, especially the effeminate males  ! They are very sensitive and kind. In fact, I have encountered many queer, wonderful and lovely individuals in my life. 

Lokman  and Joshua were my primary school mate and secondary school mate, respectively. They always felt out of place. Lokman used bring green syrup to school and was always willing to share his stuffs. He loved to join the girls and chit chat and refused to join the boys. 

One day, Joshua came running back into our classroom from the soccer field. He complained that he was so supposed to play football but ended up being kicked around like a football. 

Then I was buddies with Nasir when I started working as a lawyer. A huge group of young lawyers would always hang out  to "Jom minum" during tea breaks or play bowling. Nasir would use "Naomi"  for Naomi Campbell as his name when we played bowling. 

My own nephew came out in the open as a gay. He's one of the most talented person I have ever known. He can sing, dance and play many musical instruments.  

We can always agree to disagree. We can always attack the views and opinions of a person. We can always attack the integrity and the political will of an individual. 

However, we cannot subject any individuals to personal attacks especially on their physical and/or psychological attributes.  By persecuting someone's so called lack of conformity to the societal norms, you are in fact subjecting the person to a form of bullying. 

I have a confession to make. I was a victim of bullying in school due to my obesity. I was always teased at. Enduring name calling was a daily chore for me.  I can relate to victims of bullies. I never liked my primary school days due to that.  There are good and bad queer people but my point is to attack the individuals ad rem (based on their arguments) and not ad hominem (personal attacks). 

Therefore, let us emulate  Pakatan leaders, Lim Kit Siang , Lim Guan Eng, Tony Pua, Rafizi Ramli, Mat Sabu and Anthony Loke who attacked the powers that be using empirical facts and figures from history and present. 

Let us not go down to the level of BN leaders like Bung Mokhtar (Batu Gajah leak every month too), Mustapha Mohamed (new office is like a virgin bride), Roselan Johar Mohamed (if you can't fight rape, just enjoy it) etc. 

An apology is a consolation but if one apologises for the same mistake over and over again then it shows that the apology is not genuine. Such recalcitrance and unrepentant spirit reek of cheapskate politics. We have to rise above cheapskate politics if we are serious in wanting to take over Putrajaya. 

Note : the characters above are based on actual persons but their names changed to protect their identities. Please add obesity into "LGBTIQ". They are also very much victimized. 

Nicole Tan Lee Koon
DAP Wanita National Executive Committee (NEC)  member 
DAP Negeri Sembilan State Committee

No comments:

Post a Comment