Sunday 6 January 2013

Kuala Pilah Guangdong Association 45th Anniversary Dinner – 5th Jan, 2013


Postscript : I received a very good feedback from Anonymous that after reading this particular posting on the KP Guangdong Asso, I am a Chinese Superimist (sic) and no different from BN. Anonymous further stated that there are two types of supremacist, i.e active and passive. The active ones are like Perkasa and the passive ones are those who glorify ethnic based associations etc. 

There is a difference between China and Malaysia. Historically, China was united through wars and strife from Shi Huangdi in the 3rd century BC to the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976), a social-political movement /violent class struggle to enforce communism in the country by removing capitalist, traditional and cultural elements from Chinese society. The Cultural Revolution paralysed China politically and significantly affected the country economically and socially. Further, due to the rich history and culture of China, all the foreign conquerors were sinicised. 

Whereas, in Malaysia we are a multi racial country due to the major influx of immigrants from China and India from the 14th century AD onwards. We never experienced assimilation through nationalism in Indonesia and Thailand. Therefore, the various cultures and practices are very much ingrained and embedded in our society. 

There is a big difference between BN's practices and Anonymous' so-called passive supremacist. The former protects its individual race at the expense of the other races. To be proud of ones' culture and heritage is quite different from that. For eg, is it wrong for Anonymous' children to be proud of Anonymous' family lineage, family name, culture and heritage? I think not. I am proud of being a Teochew but not at the expense of anyone else. Of course, we should be all Malaysians first ! 

Kuala Pilah Guangdong Association 45th Anniversary Dinner – 5th Jan, 2013

How time flies! I was called to the Bar in 1996. Worked in Messrs. Lee Boon Peng, Seremban branch (HQ). I needed to travel to Lukut and Nilai to help run the branches then. Later, I was sent to the Kuala Pilah branch in 1998 to head it. I felt miserable as being a brash young lawyer I wanted the bright lights big city. I grudgingly went as that was an opportunity to become the partner of the firm. Initially, I had no friends but eventually I built a client base. Most of my clients became my friends. Now, 15 years later, I am proud to say Kuala Pilah is a pivotal part of my life!

I was invited to attend the abovementioned dinner. During my speech,  I said that I have a close nexus with Guangdong Association. Firstly, I am their legal adviser for the Kuala Pilah branch. Secondly, my dad is a Teochew, which is situated in the Guangdong province. Thirdly, my mom is a Guangxi. Guangxi province is situated next to Guangdong province. Guangdong and Guangxi provinces are known as "Dual-Guangs" (兩廣). Guangdong province has many achievements. Being the 15th largest province in term of size, it has the highest GDP (half of India's) and the most populous with 100 million people. Famous Guangdong people are Li Kashing (world's richest Chinese. He is a Teochew). Sun Yat Sen (the famous revolutionist) was born in Zhongzhan, Guangdong. The most shocking revelation I gave them  was that the Communist Party was started in Kuala Pilah, according to Chin Peng's autobiography. The Communist Party Malaya (CPM)’s inaugural meeting was held in Kuala Pilah, Negeri Sembilan in 1930 where Ho Chi Minh was present !

It was an enjoyable evening catching up with my old friends/clients. Many who have not seen me for quite some time. The organising chairman, Ping Wong wanted to showcase cantonese music or songs, especially songs composed by Joseph Ku and Wong Jim and made it like a mini concert with three segments i.e songs from TVB dramas; songs by everlasting Cantopop artists and latest Cantopop songs. He could sing like a Hong Kong pop star and looks like one too. We were entertained by singers with songs of yesteryears reminding me of the good old days of watching VHS videos of Cantonese serials. Songs like Shanghai Beach, The Brothers, Man in the Net etc. Later, I had a great time reminiscing with songs by Leslie Cheung, Danny Chan, Sam Hui, Roman Tam etc. The evening ended with Gangnam style (even though not connected with Cantopop) due to popular demand. I was lucky they did not ask me to perform. 


From left to right : Chairman of the KP Guangdong Association, Lee Wai; The immediate past Chairman, Lee Ah Kow aka 師爺


I was flanked by Lee Ah Kow and the Organising Chairman, Lau Ping Wong



3 comments:

  1. Ms Nicole,

    This is the 1st time i have visited your blog & read whats here in your website.

    One of the sickness in this country since the formation of UMNO is racism. After going through your postings its quite evident you are some what of a chinese superimist. Do realise that there are two forms or racial superimists (a) active - those like Perkasa and (b) passive - those who promote it through and glorifying ethnic based cultural/social/business/educational associations, societies & foundations

    Until you become colour/creed/religiously blind (please have spiritual 20/20 vision), you are no different from other current leaders in BN or the opposition who suffer from this post-independence sickness and which has ruined our society.

    Please learn from the example of Racial minorities in Indonesia & Thailand who do not refer to the ethnice origins anymore in any form but only refer to themselves as either "Bakap/Ibu Indonesia" or "Khun Thai".

    I am a Malaysian, person of mixed blood living in malaysia & china and know the big difference and the effect of the absence of such sentiments. My children study in china and have long ceased saying thing like "my chinese friend. my malay friend my indian friend", etc that is part of the sickness you propagate here.

    In china there are only two categories of people; (a) chung guo ren (china people) and (b) wai guo ren (foreigners). This is one of the beautiful things done y the communist who erased all forms of reference to race/colour/creed/religion in the consciousness in mainland chinese, of course through the barrel of a gun 60 years ago but nevertheless it is a positive achievement whose benefits are enjoyed by over a billion people today.

    What you have achieved is nothing compared to what you can achieve once you become totally ethinc/religious/cultural/racially blind.

    A true home grown exapmle is the little known late Tan Sri Phillip Kuok (Brother of Tan Sri Rober Kuok). He is not remembered for his wealth/philanthropy - in fact very few people ever heard of him or his charity untill he passed away a few years ago. He is most remembered for his Blindness that he & his family lived by example.

    Long Live MALAIUR !!!

    (this is the Sanskrit name that this beloved land was known as before any map was drawn by the western explorers or even Parameswara came to Malacca).


    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anon,

    Thanks for your input. You right and I agree with you in toto. Next time, I must emphasise that we are Malaysians first !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the KP connection news.
    I am a KP Phile (KP Lover - born in KP and roaming ever since 17. Did not know of a Guagdong Assn in Kp.
    Did you know who Tung Yen (Of Jalan Tung Yen KP) was ?
    Please see Blogspot Kuala Pilah History for KP Philes in Google search
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete