Monday 8 July 2013

Jellyfishers !


Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I learnt that in school during my Form 5 (yes, I was in science stream). I was inspired by a few incidents that happened recently. I noticed that there are some people who delight in making other people’s lives miserable, unwittingly or otherwise. I shudder to think of the motive or reasons for doing so but I can only make a wild guess that their lives are pretty deprived.

I am  reminded of my teenaged days. I used to watch a lot of Hong Kong drama serials. During the 80’s, there was this group of good looking actors in TVB dubbed “The 5 Tigers” comprising of Andy Lau; Tony Leung, Michael Miu, Felix Wong and Kent Tong. They were the most popular actors at that time, much adored by young girls alike. I have this particular friend who hated Andy Lau so much even though he was the most good looking and popular of the lot. The hatred is so deep seated that she would go all out to campaign against Andy Lau. It was a case of David (my friend) vs Goliath (Andy Lau). Only difference is this Goliath didn’t pick a fight. The feeling was not mutual. This Goliath does not know the existence of this David. My friend harnessed all her energy or qi into hating and campaigning against Andy Lau even though Andy Lau did not wrong her in any way. It was a futile exercise.  I am still clueless on why she did it. I can only guess that she lacked so much attention that she was jealous of the adulation Andy Lau was getting. What is my point, you may ask. My point is simple some people just like to see other people suffer despite not knowing the person either out of spite or for some reasons only God knows.

This morning I heard a new expression from Capital FM (my favourite radio station) called the “Jellyfisher”. Jellyfishers: In Bridget Jones’ Diary,  engaging in a conversation with Jellyfishers is like swimming through a school of jellyfish. Jellyfishers are always saying things to hurt you. They make no apologies and often hide behind telling it like it is or that they were just being frank/direct. They are saying what they say to be cruel and hurt people, not for any helpful/constructive purpose. Imagine an early morning “jellyfish” comment. It really spoils your day. I am like if you do not have anything good to say, better shut your gap.

Using Newton’s Third Law, for every bad action there is an equally bad reaction. I am reminded of an ancient Japanese (some attributed it to Sun Tzu) saying : “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by." I am patient enough. To all those “jellyfishers” I have loved/hated before, get a life !



No comments:

Post a Comment